Thursday, February 25, 2010

110.

It's been a trying last few days.
I don't know where to start.
I'm jumping through the many hoops
because they are my heart.

Discouraged that my barren womb
could never bring forth life,
my tears were turned from grief to joy
by my hero, by my wife.

I knew the minute she conceived,
I know that sounds so queer.
A child's voice right next to me
said, "Mama I'm right here.

"I'll soon be nestled in your arms,
but after Mommy's nursed.
We heard your prayers, so crystal clear.
I wanted to be first."

With each new bundle, little joy,
I can't believe my eyes.
They all have given more to me
than I ever could surmise.

I know it doesn't change a thing
while living daily life.
The girls, they're mine from birth on up,
my genes or of my wife.

But laws are laws, not made by hearts,
nor sometimes fairer heads.
So every footpath laid before
I'll forward on to tread.

My girls won't know till later on
they didn't grow from me.
And Love won't care it's recognized
in this, the land of free.

I'm grateful more than I can say,
this barely just begins.
My happiness belongs with them:
Susan, Paige and twins.

2 comments: